Friday, July 11, 2014

Beautiful Nails are Healthy Nails


   
  I recently had a weird experience visiting a nail salon in a neighboring town to Denver which I won't name. It serves no purpose to call down a business which is so obviously ailing on its own and I'm certain that we should all heed the message of this entry, whether a salon professional or consumer. I hope the techs of the nail salon in question are doing active research and find this entry because they need to read this the most.
     One day I happened to be in an out of the way area- at least for myself- and I needed a natural nail repaired. Many of my readers won't know that I don't consistently wear artificial nails. I will use the materials if it warrants it. I do repair my nails with acrylic, silk or gel but only if it's absolutely necessary. There are all kinds of breaks and chips in natural nails which can be repaired with nail glue itself. Shock ! Shock !
     I asked several people around the municipal township outside Denver the location of the nearest nail salon and everyone I asked happened to know for certain that there was one nearby but I could not see an obvious sign and everyone's directions were different. Finally, I walked into a full service beauty salon and a stylist stopped her work in the middle of a hair cut to take me outside and point me in the right direction. I finally found it and walked in and was immediately besieged by about ten nail techs- all appeared to be Asian- and they immediately looked at my hands. I asked if I could get a nail repaired and the owner came through the throng immediately and informed me that I could get a manicure or a set of nails.
     I asked, incredulously, "I can't get my nail repaired ?"
     She said, "No."
     As I was turning to leave I looked straight at her while I shook my head, with a genuine smile, and left- with my broken nail still broken. My parting words to her were, "Well, I can fix it." I'm sure she realized as I parted that a golden opportunity to learn something she didn't know walked out the door- never to return- to say nothing of the fact that it's just bad business to say 'no' to a customer!

     Since that day I've had an even deeper appreciation for all I've learned in my thirty-seven years of being a professional manicurist/nail technician. What's surprising to me is that something as basic as learning how to mend or repair a natural nail has gotten lost somewhere along the way. I don't believe for one minute that women have stopped breaking nails. What has ended, for most, is the true craft of artificial nail technology. Many women are convinced or are being convinced that they can do a manicurist's job just as well as they do or better and maybe in some cases they are right.
     My visit to that nail salon has convinced me of one thing. If they can't repair a nail, natural or
artificial, then they don't know much of anything. It's completely unprofessional and in my opinion should be scrutinized by our state boards. There are even greater issues going on in these unlicensed salons, so if they don't serve the public on basics how will they handle issues of disease borne of cross-contamination? How will they recognize nail disease or conditions? Do they really know how to sterilize their implements, their tables or their stations ? When I went to Cosmetology School I did 70 hours of instruction and practice in sterilization alone. Does that sound like a simple matter? It isn't and that is why I am licensed and many of them aren't. Next time you decide to have a professional manicure or other hand or foot related services check to make sure the salon and your technician are actually licensed. It is important that you safeguard your health when you're getting a personal service. Unlicensed means unschooled.

The Castle Lady

No comments: